Sunday, September 20, 2009

I'm Just A Singer In A Rock 'N Roll Band

It's Saturday night and my brother doesn't want to sit in the house any more so we decide to go to The Melting Pot for dessert (fondue..... YUM). I'm up in my room getting ready to go and I hear music from the local carnival (mind you, my new town is one square mile). I put my ear by the open window and hear "Still Of The Night" by the Five Satins and then "Back In The USSR" by the Beatles. I'm thinking "that sounds like my old band" which consisted of my high school music teacher, English teacher, and three other alumni. They sang a lot of oldies (doo wop) - four and five part harmonies - the most fun I've had in any band I've been in. So Matty and I leave and I make him do a drive by so I can see if it's them or not. Mind you, I haven't spoken to any of them since I moved six years ago. We drive by and there's no one playing so I figure they're on a break - or whoever it was. So I take a walk into the carnival. I see both of my old teachers standing up by the stage and walk up to them and say "how are me two favorite teachers?". WELL.... they were so happy to see me and I was just blown away. What happened next was just a whirlwind. One of the teachers walked away and came back with the other three alumni and they thought it was crazy that I was back in town considering they had just gotten back together. They told me I had to sing - like right then - and of course, I agreed. It was insane. I sang "my song" - "Please Mr. Postman" and it was like we never parted ways. It was so great. I couldn't stop smiling. In fact, I don't remember the last time I was so genuinely happy. The welcoming I received from all of them just by being back in town was overwhelming and absolutely incredible. I couldn't have felt any more loved at that moment.

Well, my song was over and I left the stage (and was told not to leave town) and as I was waving goodbye, I got waved up to the stage and was told "practice is on Tuesday at 7:00pm". And just like that, I got my old band back. I don't think I stopped smiling for the rest of the night. Life just didn't get any better at that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment